Loading... Please wait...

End Of Summer Safety Tips #2

Posted by

Originally posted: August 30th, 2013

Here are some tips to help you and your pet enjoy the season in safety.

Flea and Tick Prevention
Fleas and ticks can be found all year long, so be sure to keep your dog up-to-date on flea and tick prevention even throughout the cooler months.

First Aid Kit
Keep a pet first aid kit with you on hiking or day trips. Identification Make sure your pet is always wearing ID, especially if she is off-leash on hikes or walks in the park. Water Carry plenty of water on those long walks and hikes. Even in the cooler weather it is important to stay hydrated. And as the nighttime temperature drops, watch your pet's outdoor water to be sure it doesn't freeze.

Check Equipment
Fall is a great time to do end-of-season safety checks on all of your dog's equipment, including leashes, collars, fences, leads and runs. Take the time now to ensure that your dog will not accidentally escape from a broken leash or fence, before the cold and snowy weather approaches.

Mushrooms
While most are non-toxic, some wild mushrooms growing in the fall can be poisonous to your pet. They can cause a range of health issues from gastroenteritis to severe hallucinations and can even prove fatal. Contact your veterinarian or Poison Control immediately if your pet has ingested wild mushrooms.

Rodents
During the fall, rodents are more present as they search for warmth in shelters and even in our homes. Take caution when using rodenticides around the home as these can be toxic to pets and can cause bleeding disorders that can be deadly. Consider using traps instead.

Snakes
As snakes prepare to hibernate for the winter, they may be found in unusual places unexpectedly by your pet. Familiarize yourself with the various venomous snakes that inhabit your area this time of year, and where they can usually be found, and avoid those areas.

School Supplies
Fall is back to school time. Take care to keep all school supplies, i.e. pens, magic markers, glue, etc., out of reach of your pets.

Antifreeze
If you are preparing your vehicle for the winter months and are changing the antifreeze, take caution in disposing properly and cleaning up any spillage. Many coolant products contain a chemical called ethylene glycol that is highly toxic to your pet. Five teaspoons can kill a 10 pound dog, even less for a cat. Kidney failure and death can occur in as little as four to eight hours. Newer products that contain propylene glycol are generally considered safe. Contact your veterinarian or Poison Control immediately if you suspect your pet has consumed antifreeze.



Connect with us:

Facebook